Thursday, October 11, 2012

Packing and planning, cheap therapy

This past week I've been preparing for a nice two and a half day hike through the Big Thicket. More precisely I've been packing, unpacking, packing and then unpacking again in an effort to lighten my hiking pack. I'm definitely not an ultralight guy, they have weight management down to a artsy science.
I was annoyed at the idea of getting all the gear, food and other supplies together, like toilet paper — God, don't ever forget the damn TP. However, as my OCD packing abilities continued it started to become more and more enjoyable, shaving a few ounces here and a pound there. That doesn't seem like much but after 10 miles it starts to feel like someone sneaked lead into your pack.
That being said, I have shaved the weight off the pack and gathered what I'll need for a couple nights out in the woods. Bringing along an iPod as my chosen method of entertainment sitting by a crackling, flickering campfire.
I'll be sure to throw some pics up and give a rundown of my trip, assuming I'm not eaten by a feral hog or cougar... The odds are pretty stinking low.

No comments:

Post a Comment