Friday, July 15, 2011

When it hits the heart

There are times when the true essence of mortality hits you and hits very hard. Recently Southeast Texas lost two first responders; Steven McShan, 24, died from a fall at a friend’s home in Crystal Beach and Bryan Hebert, 36, died in the line of duty while trying to apprehend a suspect.
I look at these deaths and it saddens me to see life end at such a young age. Their deaths not only had such an impact due to their age but also that they risked their lives for people like myself everyday without asking for recognition. They didn’t ask to be labeled heroes, they just are.
I will likely never rush into a burning building to save a life or give my own protecting people that I may not even know. But this is something emergency workers do everyday and is an act of enormous care that many will never duplicate.
It is with a high level of respect and admiration that I attended the funeral of Bryan Hebert. As part of the Port Arthur News’ coverage of his funeral I waited at the grave site while talking to colleagues and friends of Hebert. It was very moving to see the massive turnout of firefighters, EMS and police officers there supporting the family of Hebert.
Reporting on a story often makes me feel like an outsider looking in but the officers and other people there made me feel different. And I could tell by the community outpouring that many felt the same way as myself, everyone I interacted with had something positive or something moving to say about Hebert.
I had never been to the funeral of a fallen officer before and I will never let the images leave my mind. There will always be memories of the vast, continuous line of emergency vehicles, there to show their respects and support in such a time of sadness. The solemn faces on the rows of officers standing in silent reverence made me wish things could be different, that these two men who had died could be brought back by a force unseen but felt very deeply by all present.
Flags waved in a slight breeze as the color guard stood silently watching over, honor guard readied their rifles and the echo of ‘taps’ could be heard drifting through the heat of the afternoon. Sweat beading on foreheads, tears welling in the eyes of those hit so very hard by the hammer of emotion.
This was not only a chance to say goodbye, this was something much more. The chance to pay respect to someone who gave more than words can quantify. The emotions I experienced that day will never leave me and I do not want them gone.
For those not attending or unable to do so, it was an experience like no other. I only wish that I could reach out and shake the hand of every man and woman who put their lives on the line. Be they a member of the police, EMS, firefighter or soldier.
As sadness fades and memories of smiles and good times take its place I can only pray that people will never forget the sacrifice made to keep us safe, that allows us to enjoy the things that we often take for granted.
Though they may be removed from our lives, they are to never be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment